Tuesday, June 21, 2016

SHELF LIFE Receives Inspiration Grant






Writer/Producer David Wayne Reed has been awarded an Inspiration Grant from the Art Council of Metropolitan Kansas City to launch his new storytelling series, Shelf Life.

“Think The Moth meets Antiques Road Show,” says Writer/Producer David Wayne Reed of Shelf Life.  

Shelf Life is a bi-monthly live ‘show and telling’ event featuring an array of unique objects from the region and the stories behind them.

At each Shelf Life event, there will be six objects and storytellers featured.  Each teller has 7-10 minutes to share a story based on, featuring, or inspired by the object that they bring with them. Additionally, there will be a mystery object introduced at each show. This object will be up for raffle. An actor who will be given the object and challenged to improvise a back story about the object on the spot before raffling off the item to a winning audience member. This is to demonstrate the power of storytelling in increasing the value of our objects. Storytellers are curated from an open call submission and are selected to tell a story inspired by, or featuring an object within the context of the events chosen theme (upcoming themes: Winning, Election, and Unwanted Gifts.)  The storytellers range generations, professions, and cultures thus providing a vast range of personalities, objects, and perspectives.

“I share stories in order to connect to something larger than myself. I write because I love to listen and I perform so I know I'm not alone. As a playwright, I create dialogue. Shelf Life is a way of connecting with audiences directly and asking them to share in the dialogue. This stems from my one-man show, Jolly Rancher, and how my first person narrative invited people to share their own stories. I found that by sharing the personal aspects of myself I opened up more universal themes. I discovered that through the craft of storytelling that I can not only describe community, but also expand it.”

Shelf Life debuts at the Brick (1727 McGee St, Kansas City, MO 64108).  Tickets are $10 and are available at the door or through Brown Paper Tickets. 


Upcoming Dates:  September 17, 2016, November 5, 2016, and December 10, 2016.  Shows start at 8 p.m.  2017 Dates TBA. 

Have an object and a great story to share?  Contact us at yourshelflife@gmail.com. 


1 comment:

Slow Marks said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.